The MOT Certificate And The Vehicles That Must Pass It

Since vehicles must pass the annual MOT inspection, look for Coventry garages that feature the blue square with 3 white triangles, as this means they are DVSA or VOSA approved to carry out MOTs. Contact a reliable garage that does not abuse MOT tests in order to create repair work for themselves, and check whether they are able to test and service your vehicle make and model, whether it is petrol, diesel, hybrid or electric.

When you need to get your MOT in Coventry, it is best to look for either a local test garage or the branch of a national centre that is also able to offer repairs in case the MOT inspection finds something wrong with your vehicle. Even though repairs can be done at the same test garage or at a different one of your choice, it is more cost effective to leave the car at the same centre; that is because doing a partial MOT retest of your vehicle within 10 business days after having it repaired at the same garage is free of charge. Besides, taking your car or motorcycle away to get it fixed is more complicated, because you need a valid MOT certificate to drive on road.

If your vehicle passes the test, you will receive an MOT certificate that the garage will enter into the MOT database. Note that the certificate records the vehicle’s current mileage, as well as the previous 3 readings, and any mistakes must be reported immediately. To make sure you receive a genuine MOT certificate, there are sample documents on the government website that you can check and compare; typically, the certificate is valid for one year, so make sure you don’t misplace it.

Vehicles exempted from the MOT 

Most vehicles must be inspected annually, except for historic motorcycles and cars (made before 1960), tractors, and electricity-powered goods vehicles. While electric vehicles are exempt from paying road tax, you still need to get them MOT tested if you are going to drive them on public roads.

Further vehicles that are excluded from MOT are the cars (with no more than 8 passenger seats), motor caravans, goods vehicles, and motorcycles (with and without a sidecar, irrespective of engine size) that have not yet seen their 3rd registration anniversary. Other types of vehicles for which 3 is the age when the first MOT is legally required include dual purpose vehicles, 3-wheeled vehicles, quads, and service vehicles. Once any of the above passes the age of 3 (since their first registration), they must be MOT tested each year if you want to drive them on the road. On the other hand, lorries, buses and trailers do not need an MOT check, but they must undergo a different annual test instead.